layout

Sunday, January 10, 2010

4 Christmases

Yes. There were a total of 4 Christmases, and maybe that begins to explain why I'm just now beginning to recover from it all!!!

My Christmas events began at my Grandmother Lila's house. I went over to her house on the eve of Christmas eve, so that I could spend some time with her. I helped out with some of the general preparation things like going to the grocery store and other what nots. Mostly I just enjoyed spending time with her. Christmas Day we had a big crowd over at the house. It was wonderful to have so many people because no matter if 1 or 20 come my Grandmother always cooks like a whole army is coming to dinner, and then she's left with all that food!

Generally the crowd at her house consists of myself, my Dad, Uncle Bill, Aunt Dottie, and my Grandmother. This year since Dad didn't come home (he decided to spend his Christmas in snowy Wisconsin!), Mom came and brought along my other Grandmother and Aunt Dortie. We had a marvelous dinner with all the usual things including the tasty asparagus cassarole :) and we all enjoyed each other's company throughly. My Aunt Dottie very much enjoyed all my Grandmother Pat's funny stories. We all laughed and laughed. It was wonderful to have so much of my family together on Christmas Day!


me and Mom Christmas Day


Christmas evening I wandered over the river and through the woods to my Grandaddy's house! Dinner was served promptly at 6. We had some pan fried hamburger steak with gravy and some English peas and mashed potatoes. Then, it was time to open presents. I got lots of things, including the hot gift item of the year- a suggie :) HA!


Here I am sporting the hospital green
snuggie and all my scarves!

The day after Christmas, Mom, Grandmother Pat, Aunt Dortie and I had an engagement with extend family. All told that gathering included about 40+ people, and it was really lovely. It was all the people I missed seeing at Thanksgiving, so I was especially glad to be able to see them at Christmas. We had a HUGE spread of food and desserts including my grandmother's wonderful sweet stewed tomatoes, Mark's deviled eggs, and Aunt Martus's 3 color cake (A.K.A. an Earthquake cake this year since it fell apart!). It was all so good, and it was so much of the food I've grown up eating. I didn't know I missed it so much (since I didn't eat it at Thanksgiving), but I managed to savor it a little longer this year :)

The lovely food table- after we all had
eaten our fill :)

There were some new babies in the family and much of the day was spent passing them around and watching their latest tricks. We all enjoyed hearing from sweet 4 year old Jasmine all about her baby brother and what Santa had brought her! Some time after lunch and after all the present opening occurred, and old fashioned bit of Christmas singing broke out among the crowd. There are some really talented singers in my family, and we even have a piano player too!



Here they all are! Notice I'm not in the crowd :)


Sunday afternoon, brought the last bit of Christmas. After Church, Mom and I went over to my Grandmother Pat's house. She and Dortie fixed us a light and scrumptious lunch that was much appreciated after all those big meals we had eaten the last few days. Then we sat in our appointed spots and the presents were doled out. Once we each had our stack we dove in and began the opening. It just as wonderful as all the other Christmases had been!

This year, we all longed especially for my Uncle Jim and his family to be able to be there with us. I pray that in the near future my Uncle will be well, and he and all his family will be there celebrating the season with us once again! In fact, I told Jonathan today, it's what I want for Christmas next year :) Hope Santa come through!

Speaking of gifts- I have to say, I racked up just as I do every year at Christmas. Some of my favorite gifts include- my new Christmas dishes/decorations (It especially makes me smile to think about using them next year in my new "home" with Jonathan), my sketchers Shape-Ups (already worn 'em to work 2 or 3 times), my sweet little pink gourd bird house, my new dvds- Sweet Home Alabama, White Christmas, and Julie & Julia, all my new books especially my Julia cookbook and my Sophie Kinsella "Twenties Girl," and my new fake brown Uggs!

No comments: