layout

Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Christmas

To say that Nathan's first Christmas did not turn out like I had planned, would be an understatement. Lots of things didn't work out "right" but in the end he never knew the difference and was all smiles. I guess I'd rather things like this happen now when he doesn't know any better than later.

This story begins the Saturday before Christmas. Jonathan and I ran around all day busily trying to complete the last of our Christmas shopping, which luckily we did. The plan was to go to church the next day, and then spend all day wrapping and baking. But Jonathan woke up early Sunday morning with what we thought was food poising from drinking boiled custard that had been in our car for a few hours. Yuck! He felt terrible the whole day Sunday. He stayed in bed and slept most of the day. I had to make him drink fluids to stay hydrated, and he ate nothing all day. With all that going on, not 1 thing got wrapped or baked.

Monday Jonathan found out that several of his coworkers had been ill as well, and we began to worry it may have been the stomach virus and not food poisoning. I felt fine though, so I did lots of wrapping Monday and managed to make some crackers with ranch yumminess on them and bake some molasses cookies. We went out for pizza Monday night, and we were suppose to pick up Nicholas at the airport after pizza but his plane got delayed. So Jonathan took Nathan and I back home. I put Nathan to bed, and Jonathan went to get Nicholas when his plan got in. That night I began to worry that maybe the stomach bug was coming my way.

The next morning my suspicions were confirmed. I was sick, and so sad! It was Christmas Eve. Thank goodness Nicholas was there. He took care of Nathan while I stayed up in my sick room. Jonathan got released from work early. Our plan had been to head straight to his Grandmama's after he got off. I decided it was best I stay home, so he stopped at the store on his way home and got me tons of "sick" food. He won best husband ever award, by setting me up with cold drinks and a cooler full of more drinks and jello. I was so sad. I had visions of holding my little boy and helping him unwrap gifts, and I had really been looking forward to all the yummy food. I knew it was better to stay home and keep my illness to myself. Plus I really just wasn't up to getting out. So I tried to stay hydrated and slept. The nice thing about being sick Christmas Eve was when I was awake, there were lots of good Christmas movies on. I was also able to FaceTime, so I saw every one and watched Nathan open his gifts. Ah the wonders of technology! That made me feel a little better.

Uncle Nicky saved the day!
(poor Nicholas got the bug later)

wearing the same outfit daddy wore for his 1st Christmas

trying out one of my toys!

We had worried all day that the boy might get the bug. Jonathan called on his way home to say Nathan had spit up some before he left, but he thought it was just that he had eaten too much. I hoped that was it. Sadly, we realized when he got home, Nathan had the virus too. During the last leg of the drive home, Nathan threw up some more. When Jonathan went to get him out of the car, he was covered in it. Jonathan walked in the house, say "Babe we aren't lucky." I didn't know what he meant at first, but as soon as I saw the baby I knew he was sick. We stripped him down and cleaned him and his car seat up. There were probably 2 more vomit incidences and then it was over. But we were up until very late, just sitting with him until we knew all was well. Sometime during all this Santa slipped in to drop off Nathan's presents under the tree. We all went to bed around 4 AM.

Thankfully, we all woke up midmorning the next day feeling much better! We all went downstairs and presents were opened. A fancy lunch of crab legs were eaten by Jonathan and me. I actually wasn't that hungry, so I didn't cook that many. So it was mostly eaten by Jonathan. And we just enjoyed a lazy day together. Nathan and Scout enjoyed their gifts!

look at all the stuff Santa left

is it all for me?!

I got J a Xbox one. He set it up immediately. He loves it!


He got me a North Face super warm jacket. It has come in handy already. Keeps this wimpy southern girl really warm.


Scout checking out her stocking

The day after Christmas we loaded up to head to Anniston. The car was packed full of gifts and Nathan "stuff". Interesting traveling with an infant!

First stop was Atlanta to have Christmas with Jonathan's dad. We had lunch with him and opened gifts. This was our first visit to his house, so it was nice to get a tour of the place.


Then it was on to Anniston and my grandma's house. My mom was already there waiting on us. So we were met with open arms by Nathan's grandma and great-grandma. Our plans here went a bit awry as well. Originally, the plan had been for Jonathan to go home on Sunday, and my mom was going to bring Nathan and me home on Tuesday. But, we got a scary call from my aunt saying my uncle was really not doing well (he was in the hospital), so my mom and my other grandma dropped everything and left to go up to Raleigh to help out. So glad they did because I believe it was only because of the grace of God and serious determination that my uncle got out of that hospital.

Before my mom and other grandma left we were able to open gifts.

Jonathan opening his loot

My grandmas with my sweet boy

my mama and Nathan

Friday, my great-aunt Jean was able to come over and give Nathan an awesome gift.


trying out my awesome tractor

Saturday, my great-aunt Dortie came over, and we had yummy Alabama BBQ together. And we opened some gifts with her.



We ended up spending some wonderful quality time with my Grandma! I was so glad we were able to do this. We really enjoyed it, and I know she did too.


No comments: