layout

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Pretend it's June

At least for the next little bit, let's all pretend it's June- more specifically the week of June 20th. For you see, I got a teensy bit behind in my blogging, and I am now ready to attempt to catch up. This is a most excellent place to begin the catch up too because this week will probably go down as one of the best weeks in the history of my whole life- true story! Three super fabulous things happened-

NKOTBSB Concert

That's right I went to see one of the first loves of my life- The New Kids! and as an added bonus The Backstreet Boys were there too! It was a really fun night :) It all started when my friend Kourtney, her sister Kayla, and another friend Brittney drove up from Alabama. We met up before the concert downtown and went to eat at one of my faves The Old Spaghetti Factory. Dinner was yummy as usual, even Kourt the picky eater liked her alfredo, and we had a great time just chit-chatting and catching up. After dinner was over, we walked up the street to the Bridgestone Arena and quickly found our awesome seats. It was possibly the closets I have ever sat to the stage. I have to tell you I was so excited. I saw the New Kids in concert twice when I was little, but we never had super close seats like these!

We watched the opening acts, which included a hometown Nashville girl whose name I can't remember and Jordin Sparks, American Idol winner! They were both pretty good, especially Jordin. But you could tell everyone was waiting in great anticipation for the main event! Once the openers were done and they set up the stage for the boys, you should have heard the screaming in the arena! Of course I was yelling right along with everyone else. It was so exciting.

They started off the show with both the New Kids and Backstreet Boys together, and then throughout the concert they switched out. I think I knew the words to every song both groups sang. And even though they are a bit older, they still can give a really great show. For me, the highlight of the night came when the New Kids sang "Tonight" and walked out into the crowd to do some singing. Danny Wood walk right by where we were sitting. I got to touch his arm, and Brittney snapped a quick pic with him! Of course it would have been so much better if it had been Joey McIntyre :) It was a really fun night reliving my childhood/teenage years!

Backstreet's Back

She might have been excited

All four of us

Jonathan's Birthday

Jonathan's birthday was Saturday. He turned the big 2-7, and I had a day full of surprises for him. I planned the whole day, and I refused to tell him any of the details. He guessed and guessed all week about where we were going and what we were doing, but he couldn't figure it out. It drove him crazy. Ha!

I worked Friday night, which means Saturday I came home and had a quick rest before we set out on his mystery birthday. I got up mid-afternoon and got ready. He opened some gifts and cards from family (no gift from the wife, we had already agreed I would go with him to pick out a suit, which we did a week later) and then we were off. First stop was to pick up the cake. He knew as soon as we pulled into the mall parking lot that he was getting a cookie cake! He loved it, and so did I. It had been years since I had a slice of that yummy cookie goodness.

After picking up the cake, we were off to our final destination, Arrington Vineyards. He guessed we were going to a vineyard on the way there. I fessed up and told him he had finally guessed right! I think I did a pretty good job keeping it a secret for over a week though :) Anyway, this was the first time we had been to this little place, and even I was surprised at how gorgeous it was. It's not too far from where we live, and the grounds are big with grapes planted all around the rolling hills of the property. There were tons of people there that Saturday- lots of families with little kids running around every where, as well as a few birthday parties and bachelorette parties! I had found out there was a catering company that would provide you with everything you needed for a picnic dinner. We had yummy pork tenderloin, a vinegar slaw, and some other yummy sides. Then after dinner, I sang to the birthday boy, and we had cake!

After we ate, we signed up to do a tasting of some of their wines. There was a short wait, so we walked around the property and eventually settled in on a swing up on a hill to enjoy the beautiful view. It was really relaxing! When they finally buzzed our pager, we returned to the hostess station where we were lead to the tasting! I think they let us have a little sip of about 4 different kinds of wine. We left with a bottle of red, white, and dessert wine to take home!

It was a really fun day. I was excited I was able to surprise Jonathan, and I definitely hope to go back this Fall. That's when they say the grapes are ripe and ready for harvesting.





1st Anniversary

Sunday was our 1st Wedding Anniversary. We made it! Ha! Never had a doubt we would :)

Jonathan had already surprised me Saturday morning when I got home with flowers. A vase of beautiful red roses and a orchid plant I had been eyeing at Kroger for awhile :) (The sweet man also did the dishes!) My gift was already sitting with the flowers Saturday morning. Well Sunday, when we got up, he could no longer contain his excitement. He had been working on his gift all week, and he had me open it first thing that morning. We had agreed to adhere to tradition and give paper gifts. Can I just tell you it's hard! I had no idea what he would do. When I opened my gift, I was so excited! He had typed up the words to our first dance song (Smile by Uncle Kracker) and turned it into a mat for a framed wedding photo! I loved it, and I thought it was so great because he made/designed it himself. Computers are a mystery to me, so I know I couldn't have done it!


So anyway, after I opened my great gift, we were off to church! After church we came home, and I set to work on my gift to him. Like I said, this whole paper thing is hard. I thought long and hard about what to do, and I finally decided I would think of 365 reason why I love my husband and put them on post-its. I wrote it all down in a notebook first. I would work on the list off and on for about a month because I have to tell you 365 is a big number. The first 50-100 came pretty easy, but then it got a bit harder. You have to be creative! Anyway, when the day of our anniversary came, I had all the post-its written out, but I wasn't sure where or how I wanted to display them. I ended up deciding on putting them on our bedroom window which sort of made the window look like stained glass. When I finally had them all up, which took a while, I let Jonathan in the unveil my creation. He loved it, and he read every single one of them!




one of the more creative ones :)

After the present giving was complete we got ready to go out on our date! We went to Bombasha a new Brazilian Steakhouse in town. It was a new experience for me. Luckily Jonathan had been to one before, so he showed me the ropes. You get a little disc that looks like a coaster with a red side and green side. There are men walking around with swords of meat. When you turn to the green side the guys with swords hurry right over to your table to offer you some of what was on their sword. I think in all there were about 8 or 9 different kinds of meat offered- maybe more- I can't remember for sure! The red side of the coaster was for when you plate was full, and then the guys with the swords would leave you alone. It was a really fun dinning experience :) All in all, I would say it was the perfect 1st anniversary!


meat sword

Happy Anniversary to us!

No comments: